Aromatherapy can be used in a number of ways for your baby. The healing power of aromatherapy oils helps you baby to be healthy and free from harmful germs and bacteria. Just be careful to keep the amount of aromatherapy oil very low as this is enough for a baby or young child.
The most suitable aromatherapy oils for your baby are chamomile, lavender, rose, neroli, sandalwood and tangerine. The best carrier oil for babies is sweet almond oil as it has a softening, lubricating effect on the skin and is much kinder than the mineral oil that most commercial baby products are based on.
This article will now discuss some of the simple yet effective ways to keep your baby healthy by using aromatherapy.
1. Baby bath – You can add soothing aromatherapy oils to your baby baths to create a lovely smell and soothe his sensitive skins. Chamomile, rose or lavender oils are best for this purpose.
2. Germ free – Try using any of these oils – lavender, frankincense, sandalwood, neroli, chamomile, eucalyptus or geranium, in a vaporizer in your baby’s room. They help to purify the air and keep germs at bay as well as being pleasant and soothing.
3. Teething – When your baby is teething, chamomile oil helps to calm and soothe inflamed gums. Dilute two drops in a little warm water and rub over the affected area three times a day.
4. Cradle cap – This flaky, red, itchy condition often affects small babies. Mix up a blend of one drop of chamomile oil and one drop of rose oil in 4 fl oz (100 ml) of sweet almond oil. Gently rub over the cradle cap three times a day.
5. Colds and blocked noses – When your baby has a stuffy nose or a cold, use any of these oils – lavender, eucalyptus, thyme, lemon, pine or rosemary, in a vaporizer. They eliminate germs and help to ease breathing.
Disclaimer: This article is not meant to provide health advice and is for general information only. Always seek the insights of a qualified health professional before embarking on any health program.